Uskudar District Istanbul is unlike any other. It truly forms a full-fledged city with its imperial mosques, its market, its active and popular center and its residential districts (rich and poor).
The Uskudar District Istanbul is reputed to be too conservative. In reality, Uskudar District is a district that reflects the diversity and history of Istanbul. Uskudar District is a true mixture of the two banks, the two rivalries and two realities of the city Istanbul: modern and conservative. This district is a synthesis of the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Republic, a sublime district not to be missed during your stay in Istanbul. Only eight minutes from Besiktas by boat.
Uskudar is a district that offers several green spaces where you can take a breath of fresh air and admire the European shore and its minarets. In Uskudar, there is a touch of Anatolia, in a family and authentic atmosphere.
The Uskudar district like Kadiköy is less visited by tourists than the districts on the European shore. It is a more authentic residential district than those of the European districts.
Places to visit in Uskudar District
Uskudar has major places and monuments to visit. The Leander’s Tower is the essential place to visit in the district. Very easy to access, when you get off the boat you walk for 15 minutes, and when you arrive at the level of the Leander’s Tower, you take the small blue boats that go back and forth between the Leander’s Tower and the shore.
After a short trip of 2 minutes you are there. From the balcony of the Leander’s Tower, you have before you the whole history of the city of Istanbul, the city with its Topkapi Palace, its Hagia Sophia and its Blue Mosque, a bit further, the Golden Horn and its first bridge, the Galata Bridge, on the left, Süleymaniye Mosque, Sinan’s masterpiece, on the right, the Galata Bridge, and the Bosphorus with its palaces: Dolmabahce, Cirahan, and the Ortakoy district with its wonderful mosque from 19th century. A bit further, the first hanging bridge of the Bosphorus. We can even contemplate the second hanging bridge of Mehmet II and Leander’s Tower. A real 360° panoramic view.
Beylerbeyi Palace, which is located just below the Bosphorus Bridge, is also a place to visit.
The mosques to visit are: Mihrimah Mosque, Earthenware Mosque, Şemsi Ahmet Pasha Mosque, and Ayazma Mosque.
The boat crossing from Besiktas (the European shore) offers a magnificent view of the Bosphorus, which is why we can go to Uskudar in Istanbul, it is not of course the only one. It is an extremely lively district, with many shops and restaurants, Uskudar in Istanbul is a district where life is good. It is an ideal place for a coffee break or a meal along the Bosphorus. It is no coincidence that the shore is a favorite place for strolling people from Istanbul.
6 good places to eat in the Uskudar District Istanbul
- Keyif Istanbul: it is renowned for its breakfast which offers a very large choice with the magnificent view of the Bosphorus. Be prepared to climb stairs, knowing that there is no elevator in this old building. It is located just behind the fish market. Count 75 tl for a meal for two.
- Filizler Köftecisi: this restaurant offers a variety of steaks as well as fajitas and salads, ‘kofte’ dishes (meatballs). All his dishes are delicious at Filizler Köftecisi, whose view of the Leander’s Tower is spectacular. The average price is 150 TL for a meal for two. Breakfast is also available every morning.
- Teras Café: Located at the fish market, ask a passerby to be able to locate the entrance to the restaurant. Don’t worry, everyone knows this restaurant. It’s a simple restaurant and don’t expect a rich menu, but gözleme and Ayvalık toast are the big favorites. The majority of Istanbul residents are regulars who come to smoke the hookah and listen to daily live music. We advise you to book if you plan to go there in the evening. The price is 90 TL for two people.
- 216 Café Trend:It will become one of your favorite restaurants. It is located just opposite the Bosphorus and has a breathtaking view of the Bosphorus and the neighborhood going up to the Leander’s Tower. The menu consists of salads, wraps, burgers, sandwiches, pizzas and salads, but you won’t be disappointed with their chicken and red meat. The average price is 120 tl for a meal for two.
- Kanaat Restaurant: Kanaat is 200 m away. bus stops and Iskele (the pier). It offers a variety of traditional Ottoman dishes but also vegetarian specialties. The price is on average 90 tl ($ 25) for two.
- Katibim Cafe & Restaurant: It is one of the oldest restaurants in the area. Katibim is another restaurant with a splendid view of the Bosphorus and caters to all tastes. Board games and hookah are also available for a good time before or after a meal. The average price is 150 TL or a meal for two or 120 TL for breakfast for two.
In Uskudar, these restaurants and cafes, many of which offer breathtaking views of the Bosphorus, are absolutely not to be missed during your stay in Istanbul.
All Tours to Turkey strongly recommend that you visit Uskudar during your stay in Istanbul. Unfortunately, it is a district very little known by tourists (very few articles available about this district in English) and often forgotten in the tours of Istanbul, it is a shame!
Uskudar is an easily reachable area (8 minutes from Besiktas). Departures are every 5 minutes and with a small price you can make a return trip there in half a day, even in a few hours and we guarantee you will not be disappointed.